Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ode to Mom

My mom has been there for it all. Seldom is she in the pictures- but that's because she's behind the camera. I know what that feels like now. It's almost as if you're this shadow of a person. You live in the background. You do all of the things people think happen magically (i.e. food preparation, cleaning, party planning, driving, memory preserving). Being a mom IS a thankless job. So, let me take this day to say THANK YOU MOM! You have been there- in the background- supporting me always. I saw you sew matching costumes for us numerous times. I saw you when you attended football games and didn't go to the concession stand during half-time because it was my time to shine on the field. I saw you when you stayed up late to prepare cakes/cookies/sandwiches/cream puffs for whatever activity or event one of us had going on. I saw you become an awesome thrift store shopper so we could have what we wanted. I saw you stay up late to fix my wedding dress when I declared that I hated it. I saw you when you came to the temple for my wedding- even though you wouldn't be coming inside. I see you making special trips to meet your beautiful grandchildren. I see you bend over backwards to make your son's wedding beautiful and memorable. I see you trust in our ability to take care of ourselves and those we love now. I'm sorry that I'm not there. I'm sorry I don't celebrate you enough. I'm sorry for every time I gave your heart the tiniest pang because I didn't listen. I love you mom and I hope I can be half as great as you as a mother. I have a lot to live up to because of you. My kids are so lucky that you have been my example.
Happy Mother's Day!
Planning and throwing the birthday parties.
Taking care of the kids.
Providing pictures for us to always remember the good times.


No comments: