Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Essay Assigned by Lisa V.

Question: Do you have a personal mission statement? Yes? No? If "yes" what are your experiences living by it? How has it changed the way you make decisions, treat people, etc?

Answer: I think I have had mini mission statements for various facets of my life.
For my marriage it has been "Never fight about money. It doesn't put any more of it in the account." That has been big for us. We have always done our best to make the most of what we have and spend what we don't when it means enriching our marriage at the most opportune times.
As for my kids, it's "they can be washed." I have tried not to stress over spilt juice, puddles of mud or dreaded paint. I try to let them be kids and remember the mess can be washed away *unfortunatly not wished away, but washed. Early in my marriage my house was sparkling and when the kids began being added to the family I stressed greatly over the messes. The stains in the carpet, the "might-as-well-throw-it-away clothes", they made me cry. To save my sanity, I decided they could be returned to their clean state.
And for the rest of the world, I stick with "Treat others the way you wish to be treated." I do my best to serve where I am needed and watch for opportunities compliment or be a listening ear. Most people are worth spending the time on, and the very few out there that just need to struggle through because they buried themselves in consequences will only allow themselves to become more self-centered when served. The hardest thing I've had to learn (and still continue to struggle with) is where that line lies. Just when I think I've found the line, I find myself stepping over it. Some individuals just need to learn to fix their lives themselves.

No comments: