Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The First Day of School 2009

Ian with his teacher
Ian
The big kids first day (Thursday)
Autumn
Billy
I have been waiting for this day for it seems like forever. But I have to say, it has been a little
bittersweet. Sure, I'll have much quieter and productive days. Yes, I'll get to have some special time with my little girl, but the big kids are gone. Summer is over. There's so much I didn't get to do with them. Summer is never long enough, I guess.
Each of them took the first day of school a little differently. Autumn seemed a bit scared and apprehensive. Billy was excited and hopeful and Ian was just plain giddy. When I told Ian goodbye he said "Just go already Mom" and gave me a little "shoo" movement of the hand. It was a little sad, but I just had to laugh at his obvious readiness. Autumn was very quiet (unusual for her), but I could tell she really wasn't sure what to expect. When she arrived home she seemed a little let down that she had a half-day, when Billy got to stay all day. And Billy- well, still Billy. He was vague with the details of his first day and couldn't remember any new names.
So, school has started. Soon we'll be moving onto Carley's potty training and then on to welcoming a new baby. We've got a busy year ahead of us. Here's hoping for the best!

2 comments:

Marylois said...

How did Carly like the quiet house? I remember Emma saying, "Where's lots of kids?"

The Copes said...

Three kids starting school. Somebody's a grownup.