Thursday, September 18, 2008

MOM SCHOOL

Three weeks ago a few moms and I started a mom school for our 3/4 year olds. We each take turns hosting and teaching the kids. There is a schedule and a focus letter/color/shape. The kids are absolutely loving it. It was so fun to be their teacher this week. Ian wasn't happy at first, because when we arrived at mom school (after dropping Billy off at Kindergarten) he saw we went home. He didn't want to go home, he wanted mom school. I explained that all his friends would join us here at our house and soon he was on board again. Well this past Tuesday and Thursday I've taught for the letter B/color red/shape square. Here are some of the activities we've been enjoying...
  • A red toy hunt- with a red pillowcase to collect them in
  • Butterflies from coffee filters and clothespins and red pipe cleaner antennas
  • Stuffing red square bean bags full of beans
  • Singing "Banana Phone" and pretended bananas were phones
  • Ate Bug Bites (graham bugs)
  • Ate BlueBerry Muffins and Banana Muffins
  • Singing "Bringing Home a Baby BumbleBee"
  • Went on a Bear Hunt
  • Read Brown Bear Brown Bear
  • Any many other games, books and songs

It's been a lot of fun being the teacher this week. But I have to say... I've earned my 5-week break. Six 3-year olds is a lot to handle all at once. But they are good kids, and oh-so-smart!

So, from me and Ian... WE LOVE MOM SCHOOL!

4 comments:

Goob said...

That sounds really fun for the kids, you are brave to take it on. I just don't think I could enjoy my turn at being teacher.

Krista said...

Ahh, I miss momschool...but at the same time, glad that I have a couple years to take a break. I am glad it is going well so far. Have fun!

Deena said...

That is a cool idea, I didn't really know anyone though to do it with. Glad it was fun, sounds like the kids enjoyed it too!

meghan said...

that makes a lot of sense now- cullan has been walking around our house using bananas as phones =)