Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Seed Planted

Today at church, a wonderful thing happened for our family. When we first arrived we were handed a program and all sat down as we normally do. Then I handed Billy the program and he asked me about the blank face (a circle with ears) and the lines underneath it printed on one side of the program (THANKS STERNS). I explained to him that he should make it his face and then write his testimony underneath it on the lines. I briefly explained the purpose of testimony meeting is to share our beliefs with one another. He asked if anyone could share their testimony. I said yes, anyone who wanted to tell what they believed in and knew was true could do that in a testimony meeting. This interested him very much. I encouraged him to listen to what the people said on the stand today. We talked about what he believed in. We talked about Jesus and the prophet and the scriptures and family. He then went on about the meeting in his normal way, playing with quiet toys and listening every now and then. Towards the end he showed me the face-all colored in with hair, eyes and a smile. Then he asked if it was his turn to tell his testimony. I said in just a moment when the brother at the stand is finished. I told him I would go with him and sit behind him while he did it. Billy bravely led the way to the front. Bro. Keefe pulled up the step stool for him and lowered the microphone (Earlier in the meeting, I made sure to warn him not to be very loud- if you know Billy you understand the importance of that warning). Then, Billy stepped up and... froze... solid. I gave him a few seconds and then stepped up beside him. I told him to say "I have a testimony". Then I asked him to remember what we talked about... he couldn't. So, with a little prompting we got through it. His heart was willing, but the flesh was weak. My sweet little boy led the way and wanted to share with everyone his belief in Jesus Christ. Upon returning to our seats, Ian exclaimed "Billy, you did it." I am so blessed for my little children. They are so close to God. I know they hear me when we read together and teach of Christ- even if at the time it seems hopeless. I'm grateful for the opportunity to teach them. What a glorious day at church. My heart is full.

4 comments:

Deena said...

I would've frozen too LOL. Good for him, what a sweet little dude!

Krista said...

You guys have done such a good job with your kids! I love little testimonies!

The Copes said...

Way to go! I asked Reid what he misses the most about Iowa, and he said Billy.---

Marylois said...

great little family remembrance! Way to go Billy! I sure loved having you in my nursery, sunbeam and CTR 5 class.