Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sonora, TX - Sonora Caverns




So many great pictures to choose from. I'm sure I chose the wrong pics to share. This cavern is wonderfully active. There were a great number of beautiful formations. Unfortunately, it is not without it's vandalism. A 5-ft. soda straw was broken a number of years ago and within the last 5 years their trademark butterfly formation was broken. Still, it was a place worth seeing. It's hard to believe how long it has taken these beautiful things to form in this cavern. We were amazed at the dripping water and warm colors inside. And utter darkness- was breathtaking. That is truly the darkest place I've ever been. I saw this cavern about 6 or so years ago and I don't remember it being so steamy down there. It was 73 degrees, but I was sweating up a storm. All of us struggled with the near 2 mile walk. Carl carried Carley on his chest in a Snugli and I'm 16 weeks along with Ian in hand and my dad had Billy. It was exhausting. Still, I am glad my dad forked over the ridiculous admission price and we bore the heat and steep walking conditions. It was a sight to see. I'm glad to have share it with my little ones.

No comments: