Saturday, January 17, 2009

Garlic and Sapphires


I just finished reading a really insightful book that I didn't really ponder until this morning when I was doing dishes. Garlic and Sapphires is about a restaurant critic for the New York Times who finds herself requiring the need for clever disguises to eat out and give a fair review of the many diverse restuarants in this bustling city. The underlying theme she shares is how the costumes and personalities she's creating- with and without help- affect her feelings about who she is. It's fun and a little unnerving to see the author find pieces of herself in each person (especially her eccentric mom). However it is wonderfully refreshing when this exercise assures her of who she knows she wants to be. I wish I had the opportunity to discover those parts of myself she entertained so I am more aware of what to avoid in myself and what to indulge. What a fun read.

By the way, all the books I read are by recommendation. If you have a good one, pass it along. Thanks Melissa for this one- and Twilight.

1 comment:

Goob said...

that sounds like a great read! I am reading an older book right now that is really great, it is called "The Most Defiant Priest"...it is an autobiography which is extremely engaging. So much insight into one man's relationship with God.