Friday, January 23, 2009

Jane Eyre


I finished Jane Eyre again today and I had a little insight into why I like this story (again while washing the dishes). Apparently dishes are a great way for me to reflect on things. Anyhow, back to why I like Jane Eyre. She is so upright. She does not give in to temptation. Jane is strong in character. I also love that she's not terribly pretty. I have never felt really pretty either. And I feel like I have tried to do right in my life- and sometimes at great cost (though never as much as her). And I can't say I'm as straitlaced as she is. Another quality I admire in her is her great ability to keep her thoughts silenced. Sometimes I feel like I am an open book and say all I think. I know, your probably thinking Charity, no way, she never talks to much- HA! However, when she does talk she is very eloquent.
One thing I don't like about this book is that *SPOILER* she ends up finding relief and care amongst her own kindred, but she is not aware they are her kindred until later. I don't find it very believable. She just walks toward a light and adores them from the window and then seeks refuge among them and voila they're family. I'm sure their world is much smaller than mine, but I still have a hard time believing it. But hey, it does make the story very charming to give this orphan a family. I loved it when it happened in the book, but later shook my head and thought Charlotte Bronte took a few liberties making that one up.
However, Jane Eyre is still very much a winner on my list. I am on to Pride and Prejudice now. But before I forget Jane Eyre- which I admit my memory is awful- I plan to rent the BBC movie version and force my hubby to endure it with me.

No comments: