Sunday, October 7, 2007

General Conference Sunday

Today I listened to the two remaining sessions of General Conference and once again all of the questions I wrote prior to the conference sessions were answered. They are personal, so I have journaled them at home. But I testify to the revelation I received and that I know the prophet and apostles are God's mouthpieces here on the Earth. They have answered my questions many times since I was a teenager. Even if my questions have seemed relatively unimportant or even silly I have always had an answer provided for me. My two favorite talks today were Eyring's and Beck's. Elder Eyring spoke about writing down our experiences where the Hand of God was seen in the lives of our immediate family so our children can have that written record. And Sister Beck spoke of righteous mothers and their important role. She also said that the best thing we can do, as mothers, is to cultivate a house of order to encourage spiritual growth. A house of order- oh how I wish I could say I live in one. I do try though, and it has gotten better this year. Also, a talk I enjoyed was Douglas Callister's. He said that the only witness of Christ that was important was our own. When we realize our testimony, our belief in Christ becomes more than belief, it is knowledge. And Dallin H. Oaks counseled that there are good things we can do in this life, but there is also the better and best. He spoke mainly about managing our time and efforts. General Conference is such a wonderful opportunity (2x/year) to assess where I am spiritually and make new goals.
My new goals for the next 6 months are to hold regular and meaningful family home evenings (FHE), where Carl and I teach the children Gospel truths. I also want to add personal scripture study to the family study we already conduct daily. And I want to focus on serving more. There are always opportunities for service and I often let them pass because I am too busy. I vow to give small acts of service more frequently to those in my family, church, neighborhood and community. So, here are my goals written on paper, because I know it is the only way I will take them seriously. 1. Hold FHE 2. Personal scripture study 3. Serve daily
As for the children, they enjoyed delivering tomatoes to the neighbors with me, they were grateful to get out of the house. We had 12- too many for our use and too few to bother canning. Ian's eyebrow looks disgusting, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Carley is cruising around the dining room chairs and coffee table better. And Billy just wants to go to school. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are a nuisance to him. He misses school on those days. Although last night when Ian was at the doctor, Billy missed Ian terribly. He drew him his heart on paper and wrote Ian's name at the top. He instructed me to give it to Ian when he came home. I love it when my children love each other.
No plans tomorrow. I hope to get some laundry done and work on making my house a house of order. At least the toyroom has stayed picked up and organized through the weekend. It's a start.

No comments: